Neck pain treatment by Kew Chiropractic Centre.
Exercises and advice to reduce upper back tension and associated neck pain symptoms and to maintain good spinal health.
The trapezius muscle travels from the base of your skull, along your neck and into your upper back. It is common to feel Neck pain in your trapezius muscle. Neck pain treatment prescribed by Kew Chiropractic Centre commonly includes stretching the upper trapezius muscle.
(To stretch and relax the tight upper back and neck muscles)
1. Place your hand on top of your head.
2. Place other hand behind your back.
3. Pull the head towards the elevated shoulder.
4. Look up away from the elevated arm.
Hold for 20-30 seconds.
Repeat on opposite side. 2-3 times a day.
A lot of Neck pain can come from tightness, strain or immobility in our upper backs. One great neck pain treatment exercise recommended at Kew Chiropractic Centre is
Towel Thoracic Extension:
(To correct upper back/neck posture and reduce tension of upper back muscles)
1. Roll a towel up into a cylinder and place flat on the floor.
2. Place a pillow at the top of the towel where your head will rest.
3. Lay down with your spine aligned along the towel for 5-10 minutes.
4. Allow your shoulders to relax backwards towards the floor while your palms are facing up towards the ceiling.
5. Upon completion of the exercise do not sit straight up, rather turn over onto all fours and then stand up from this position.
This exercise is best to be done at the end of the day.
(To strengthen your deep neck muscles)
1. Stand with your back against a wall.
2. Use two fingers to assist bringing your chin straight back.
3. Hold for 5 seconds then relax for 5 seconds. Do this 10-15 times.
Try not to shrug your shoulders but rather keep them back and down.
To be done once per day.
(To encourage proper posture)
Stand with feet slightly apart.
Think about a helium balloon attached to the front of your chest, pulling it straight upwards.
Let your shoulders relax backwards rather than forwards.
If standing for long periods of time, use a small step and put your front foot on top of it,
swap which foot is forward (on the step) regularly.
1. Avoid activities where you are looking down for long periods.
2. Rather than look down at your phone or computer, try to bring the screen up to eye level.
3. Wear your bag over both shoulders and done tightly high on your back.
4. Drink lots of water to rehydrate tired muscles.
5. Be conscious of any new or long lasting pain, think “What might be causing this and can I avoid those actions?
6. If you feel your shoulders are tight, roll them backwards in circles a couple of times to reduce the tension
This is all general advice for neck pain treatment by Kew Chiropractic Centre. If you are in need of neck pain treatment, then we encourage you to book online or call our clinic at 98531100.